Sunday, March 27, 2016

Sitting With Mary Oliver




 Sitting With Mary Oliver

  Sometimes someone drops
  words into my life that break
  my heart so thoroughly I can
  barely breathe. And I must live
  in pieces, with no hope
  for the life that came before,
  until those same words love
  me into a new wholeness.

  I admit to jealousy, wishing that
  I, too, could paint just a few words
  capable of turning a woman like me
  inside out, but my life has not yet
  gone that way. For now, maybe
  you and I can sit with Mary Oliver and
  share a cup of awe.

  - Carol Barrow


  Everything That Was Broken

  Everything that was broken has
  forgotten its brokenness.  I live
  now in a sky-house, through every 
  window the sun. Also your presence.
  Our touching, our stories.  Earthy
  and holy both. How can this be, but
  it is. Every day has something in 
  it whose name is Forever.

  - Mary Oliver*





*Everything That Was Broken, from Mary Oliver's latest book, Felicity, which you can buy here or at your local bookstore.



No comments: