I am sixty-four years old. I don’t have that many years left. Some would say, “You could have another thirty!” That doesn’t feel true to me. Or desirable.
I am sixty-four years old. I have to be honest. As sweet as life is — and it is sweet beyond words — I can’t believe that this beautiful, finite, hard and violent, loving and kind world is something to be held tightly.
I am sixty-four years old. I hold onto this life tightly.
But sometimes, I don’t.
The play of light and shadow seems to grab my attention quite often. And I forget to look to find what it is that is shining the light and casting the shadow.
But sometimes, I don’t forget.
And none of that matters, I guess.
Can I say it?
Dare I?
I don’t find living until ninety-four to be desirable because it’s too hard to live this life believing in the lights and shadows. Too tiring to believe I am someone who needs to be happy, liked, loved, warm, cool, young, smart, beautiful, loving, giving, perfect.
I have to laugh.
Stop believing such things, and then life won’t be so hard!
I am sixty-four years old. I don’t have that many years left. Some would say, “You could have another thirty!”
In the moments I am free of the need for an identification, none of that matters.
Can I say it?
Dare I?
It’s not that anything matters, or that it doesn’t.
There is another option: To be free of the need for anything to matter, and to love all the mattering.
I am sixty-four years old. I don’t have that many years left.
Carol Barrow
September, 2018
2 comments:
Happy Birthday! This world can be a wearying place. Maybe you will be hear for awhile still because of all the beauty you bring into the world and how you improve the journey for others. I hope you are okay.
Hi Diana! It's nice to hear from you. Thank you for your kind words! All is well here. For some reason, at this time of my life, I feel a lot of changes occurring within and without. More than usual. I'm just going with it all. I hope you are well. I love knowing that you are in this world.
Post a Comment