Tuesday, May 17, 2016

All Decked in New Greenery



It's Springtime,
and she's all decked in new greenery,
            designed by this cool, gray-skied
                        artist named April Showers  who arrived late,
in May.  She's never been one for calendars.

Thinking I wouldn't need them—
after all, it is May— I'd put away my sunshine glasses,
            good for warding off any darkness
                        that might come creeping in on a day like this,
                        so when you told us that guilt has nearly drowned him
            because he failed to stop her            
from drinking herself to death, I couldn't tell

whether it was rain or tears soaking
my cheeks. Oh, precious friends, we
cannot
            stop
                        this
                                    rain,
and surely we would if we could,
            being the sun-worshippers that we are.
                        Dry shelter is all we have to offer.  
                       
I wanted to hold you, to let your pain
            be diluted in both our tears. But you were across
                        the room, and this was not the time.
           
Maybe he thought that, too, the day
            she drank herself into springtime,
                        all decked in new greenery.


Carol Barrow
May, 2016