Sunday, September 15, 2019

le chevauchement

Well, that last post didn't work so well. I didn't know that videos don't come through in email notifications. Readers have to click on the blue post title which is linked to the blog if they want to view/listen to a YouTube video. Good to know. Crappy to happen.

My first blog post in almost a year, and it was an email flop. Oh, well. The song is MY happy song. Everyone has their own.


***

Some mornings, I read a poem by a contemporary poet, then steal a phrase that I like and write my own poem from that prompt (I only do this some mornings, because I lack discipline, and different days ask for different activities). I noticed that one writer wrote a few lines with words that ended a thought, but also began one. I have no idea if this is a "thing," if there is a name for this style of writing. I'd call it le chevauchement (the overlap). You'll see in the writing below, thoughts overlap. Kind of like how my brain works.


Late Summer Garden

The summer’s been quirky, 
and we found ourselves on the computer too 
much heat and not enough rain to keep the lawn green
beans have been plentiful, though, and kale grows
like weeds must be pulled around the roses weekly 
so the murdering bindweed won’t strangle them. Each 
year, I say next year will be more colorful
flowers would look nice mixed with the daisies. 
We’ll feed the grass in 
the fall I could plant bulbs if I remember 
this miracle growing right before my 
eyes keep focusing on what needs to be done 
and forgetting to enjoy even the perfect globe 
of dandelion seeds blowing the mind with happiness.

Carol Barrow
September, 2019









No comments: